Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Adapted Hunting You Can Do It


If you are a person with a disability and would like to try hunting, I encourage you to do so. With the right assistance and the right equipment, hunting with a disability can be very rewarding.

Prior to my injury in 1999, I was an avid bow hunter. After my spinal cord injury it took me several years before I felt strong enough to attempt hunting again. I am so glad I made the effort to return to the woods.

Look at yourself realistically and do an assessment. Concentrate on the positives you bring to the table and attempt to mitigate or lessen your weaknesses with adaptive equipment or assistance from others.

Research what resources are available close to you and take advantage of the experiences others in the community have had. Set simple goals at first and gradually increase your goals. Keeping in mind that success is not linear and as you problem solve your way to your goal, there will be setbacks.

The most important thing is safety. This includes your safety and all of those around you. Practice with your equipment and become proficient in all you do. Good luck in your endeavors, shoot straight and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment