Saturday, January 24, 2015

Recoil Charts

I have had a few people with disabilities ask me about recoil and how I handle it. I thought it would be a good idea to post a couple of recoil charts so that you could match the right rifle or shotgun load to your ability and adapted setup.

Fortunately the brace I have absorbs a great deal of the recoil from a shotgun or rifle. I receive no impact on my shoulder at all. The front of the weapon does rise up with a shot because I'm unable to hold the weapon. When I shoot my crossbow there is no recoil at all.

The shotguns that I use I limit to two and three-quarter inch shells. I do not shoot 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch magnum loads.  I prefer a .243 rifle or .223, but I do shoot a .270 occasionally. For target shooting I still enjoy the air rifle and the 22 LR.

It's up to every hunter to ensure a quick and clean kill. Able bodied individuals or a para may have the ability to hold a rifle or shotgun, better than myself. Being a c4/c5 quad my weapon sits in a brace. My preferred method of hunting is my crossbow. But when I rifle hunt I do it mostly with a .243 and I have been very fortunate that I have not lost a deer with that rifle.

A well-placed shot will bring down a deer every time and a marginal shot may lead to a lost deer no matter what caliber or broadhead you are using. I posted the chart so that everyone has the right information to make a decision on their own. If you want to use a larger caliber I think that's great, if you prefer something a little lighter that's great too. The important thing is we shoot within our abilities, we owe it to the game we pursue to ensure a ethical clean kill. Shoot straight and good luck in all you do.

Recoil By Caliber



Recoil by Recoil Energy



No comments:

Post a Comment