Sunday, September 13, 2015

McDonald Sportsmen's Association Pheasant Hunt 2015

Yesterday was the second annual McDonald's Sportsmens Association pheasant hunt for the Western Pennsylvania wounded warriors. It was a fantastic day and everyone had a great day out hunting.

The morning started off with donuts, juice and coffee at the safety meeting. It was great seeing all of the McDonald members from last year. The volunteers are so nice and thoughtful, they really make this event first class.

My friend Terry from the Western Pennsylvania wounded warriors delivered my spring turkey mount.  I will be getting this gobbler on my wall sometime later today.


We all loaded up on trailers, golf carts and side-by-side's to start the day's pheasant hunt. Handlers and sporting dogs accompanied each hunter. There's something about hunting with a well trained dog, that makes the whole experience that much better.


I was able to put three pheasants in my game bag. I am always so thankful that I have the opportunity to be out hunting, bagging a bird is just a bonus. It's hard to believe that last week I was in the hospital having my big toe amputated.


I did have to wear a protective foam boot. But with a little creativity and some camouflage cloth, it all worked out fantastic.

After the morning field hunt we all assembled for lunch. McDonald had the lunch catered and let me tell you, it was the best. I had a perfectly grilled steak, fried cod fillet and a side salad. A raffle was held following lunch and each hunter was given a prize. My friend Tom won a new 12 gauge shotgun! No one was left out and we were all surprised by the raffle (I won a sweet NRA folding knife).

After lunch we all went back out for a Continental pheasant shoot. Although it rained off and on throughout the day it could not put a damper on our enthusiasm.  I am already looking forward to next year's event. Thank you to all the volunteers who made this hunt possible. I know we will all be talking about it for a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment